Although it hasn't been a nice week, I realized this evening that Henry and James each said things to me that are surpassingly, maybe superlatively sweet during it, so that at least is worth remembering.
Henry:
I was showing the boys baby pictures of themselves in knitwear. We looked through quite a number, including several in which I was holding one or the other of them. In a very offhand manner, which is what made it so dear, Henry said, "I like what you look like, Mommy."
James:
I was crying. Both boys hate it when I cry, and I usually try not to do it around them. (Not that I cry all the time! But it was a bad week, as I said.) James reacts by trying out his battery of winning ways. We play a game sometimes where he says "Bad Mama!" and I pretend to cry and when he doesn't like that anymore he says "Good Mama!" and I grin fatuously. So he will say "Good Mama!" or kiss me or say "I yuv you," all of which is of course exceedingly sweet and devastating. But this week he said something I say to him when he cries, and it just about overset me. "I here, Mama," he said, patting my hair awkwardly, "I with you."
No comments:
Post a Comment