Friday, March 30, 2012

I'm calling it

As of two days ago, James's first word is [Ba]nana.
Although, as soon as I said that was his first word, officially, I realized he's been saying "up" (minus the p, but still) for months. He also says "Na na na na," irately, for no, and he barks and meows like a champ
Nevertheless, I stand by banana. Like many, many of my experiences of motherhood, things that seemed perfectly straightforward before I had children  reveal themselves to be a little murkier in their outlines than I could have conceived: How exactly do you define "word," and what, pray tell, do you mean by first? First said by chance, one off? Or what?
In any case, he has already added to his repertoire, with dog (minus the g) and ball (minus the ls).
I can't wait to find out what is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment