Thursday, March 17, 2011
Too perfect not to post
Otherwise, I am not feeling very festive.
Maybe this is a good moment to remember the day I first introduced Peter to Dad. He had asked for parent-pleasing tips beforehand. "Just don't start spouting off about the constitution," I said. "That really bugs him."
We met at the Uptown Cafe. Jonathan and Julia were to join us later. As soon as the introductions were made and we were seated, Peter leaned over (as I remember it) and socked Dad on the arm. "So, let me tell you about that constitution," he said. Dad blanched.
I hastened to explain--although I'm not sure what explanation I could have offered--and before long we were talking Irish ancestry, O'Brien to Mc[REDACTED]. Peter must have made a good impression, because Dad was soon confessing that he had always longed to be called Paddy.
Julia and Jonathan duly arrived and were introduced. We all chatted on a bit. Then, as we were leaving, Peter turned to Dad and said--to the amazement and consternation of the late arrivals-- "Nice to meet you, Paddy."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment